Embedding/Blending Quotations and MLA Citation (updated 9-2018)
Objective: To understand how to effectively embed/blend quotations into literary analysis, to use MLA Style 8 in formal essays and papers.
Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
1. Go to Nearpod.com. Enter class code where it says “Enter Code.”
2. Enter first name or nickname and click join session.
3. Today's slideshow will appear on your screen. Follow along!
Paraphrasing Mini Lesson (1-2018, V. Hulse)
Information literacy topics covered
1. Explain objective: To understand what paraphrasing is, explain the importance of this skill, recognize what paraphrasing is and how this skill helps you avoid plagiarizing information and ideas. Take notes by paraphrasing what you read.
3. Practice: Students practice paraphrasing using a gradual release model (I do, we do, you do)
Hand out worksheet to students
Re-read one sentence at a time and put in own words
Have students write the paraphrase on back side of paper with you.
4. Wrap Up Discussion: How will paraphrasing help you with taking notes?