Online Meeting tools: Google Meet
Use Google Meet for easy-to-join video calls, so you can meet face to face with students and/or staff. Meet is a part of the G suite. Can be used for online video or audio meetings from computers, Android, and iPhones--includes text chat.
Things to know about Meet
- No need to download anything.
- Teachers already have an account. Use your amityschools.org account to start or join a meeting.
- Students will also use their amityschools.org email to join Meets. They will follow a meeting link provided either via e-mail or on Unified Classroom.
- The Android and iPhone apps are very easy to use. Users need to approve using their phone audio and video.
- Only meeting creators can mute or remove other participants in a meeting
- Meetings can be recorded, and the file will automatically upload to your Google
Drive. (Zoom meetings can be recorded, but the files are large and take a long time to upload)
-When the meeting concludes, the teacher should be the last to leave the room. That way students cannot re-enter the room without a teacher being present.
How to Start a Meet
-Two ways you can start a meeting:
-- Go to meet.google.com OR
-- Sign into your google account, click on the G suite apps icon, and select Meet.
- On the Meet homepage it says “Join or Start a Meeting” Click this.
- Type in a name for your meeting. You decide on the name. Ex. Bio Per. 2, Reading, Mrs. Hulse. Click continue.
- To start the meeting, click “Join Now”.
- To add others to attend the meeting, copy the joining info. You can send this information via e-mail to students/staff or post the information on Unified Classroom.
Graphic showing the steps for joining or starting a Meet.
To Join a Meet
- Click on the url in the invite that is shared via e-mail or the url that is posted on Unified Classroom
Basic Google Meet Features
- To present your screen, click on the button in the lower right hand corner.
- To see other settings for Meet, click the 3 vertical dots in the lower right hand corner. This will allow you to:
-- Record the meeting
-- Change the screen layout
-- Turn on closed captioning
-- Check settings for microphone and video information.
Managing Students in Meet
-Click on the people image in the upper right corner. This will list every participant in the meeting.
--Click on a student’s name and you can do the following:
*Important Tip - When a meeting is over, ask the students to leave the meeting and you leave last. This way the meeting is officially over and students cannot rejoin the meeting without a teacher present.*
For more information on how to use Google Meet, here are a few resources: