Reading: Literacy Workshop
Avoiding Plagiarism through Effective Paraphrasing (updated 1-2019, V. Hulse)
Information literacy topics covered
- Taking notes
- Avoiding plagiarism (when to cite?)
- Following guidelines on use of copyright/ intellectual property
1. Objective: To understand what plagiarism is and its consequences, to recognize how the skill of paraphrasing helps avoid plagiarizing information and ideas, and to paraphrase a reading.
2. What is plagiarism?
3. How does a teacher or anyone know that something is plagiarized?
4. How does plagiarism happen?
5. How do you avoid plagiarizing?
- Cite your sources.
- Use quotation marks where needed.
- Accurately paraphrase information.
6. Paraphrasing--What is it? How do I paraphrase? Watch video.
7. Practice: Worksheet